Help me on rules for i18n hangman game

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Wed Feb 26 04:45:54 EST 2003

Hello people,

I have created a hangman game using Python and Tkinter, where the player
can compete against the program (the program can try and guess a word
based on knowledge of other words in the language).

The game is able to learn any language with 8-bit encodings (this is by
unfortunate initial design, since I started off by recoding a much older
C text-only program), and the UI text can be customised too, all that
from a UTF-8 encoded config.ini file.  So far, I have three languages
(and no cute graphics yet, but the logic and the UI are completely
functional): greek, english and swedish (with help from a friend).

The problem I need you to help me with, is the following: in all three
of the languages so far, any letter of the alphabet is considered
distinct from all others for a game of hangman with pen and paper,
counting accented letters too.

I can find the alphabets of as many languages I want on the Web, but
*you* know how you played the game when you were younger, esp. in
relation to accented characters; for example, in Swedish, "latin small
letter a with ring above" is considered distinct from "latin small
letter a" (and thus my program needs not do anything to cope for letter
equivalences).  But playing hangman in French, say, when the player
guesses 'e', does the program have to show all accented 'e' letters too
(with grave, acute or circumflex)?

Any help would be welcome.  If you want to try the program (which will
be released under LGPL when done, probably after 2.3 final since I use a
lot of the new features), I can send a URL, but I consider it alpha at
the moment.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
bofh at sil-tec.gr
(I'm a postmaster luring spammers; please spam me!
...and my users won't ever see your messages again...)