PEP308: Yet another syntax proposal

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 11 03:05:18 EST 2003

Aahz wrote:

> Because the extra punctuation calls out more clearly, IMO.  Also, I
> like
> the "||" meaning "or".

But || only means "or" in this sense if you've experienced it from the
C-like languages.  The bitwise or operator from Python is |; seeing two
in a row doesn't make one automatically think, "Oh, that must be
_logical_ or!  So that question mark is a test!  Oh, this is a little
baby if-then-else!"

/  \ There I was / There I was / Splitting atoms with my desire
\__/ Lamya
    Computer science / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/compsci/
 A computer science reference.