PEP 308: "then" "else" for deprecating "and" "or" side effects

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Wed Feb 26 07:39:24 EST 2003

i've just read the pep (it seems to be doing the rounds in blogs) and
haven't followed the discussion, so this might have been covered
(although searching google for tertiary and lazy on the group turned
up nothing).

if using a funcion like cond(a, b, c) doesn't work because of eager
evaluation of parameters, you might consider adding lazy evaluation to
python.  i would guess the general consensus on this is something like
"lazy evaluation may be powerful in some cases, but we can get the
same functionality in other ways and we don't want to scare the
bejeezus out of newbies".  to which i'd reluctantly agree.  but it can
be so neat, and maybe someone smarter than me can find a super-elegant
syntax, "or something"...

cheers,
andrew

--