Case sensitivity

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue Feb 18 08:38:42 EST 2003

sismex01 at hebmex.com schreef op maandag 17 februari om 17:56:56 +0000:

> Really, case insensitivity is evil.

Really? Case sensitivity is evil. Particularly in languages which
don't require gazillions of declarations before allowing you to get on
with writing instructions that actully do something M-2 0 M-b
dynamically typed languages.

Gerrit Holl <gerrit at nl.linux.org> schreef enige tijd later:

> > Guido doesn't seem to  think so:
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cpvgkofyru.fsf%40cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

[snip]

> Guido van Rossum wrote Wed, 25 Jul 2001 05:29:41 GMT:
> > But never mind, I'm giving up on making *Python* case-insensitive.
> > The hostility of the user community is frightening.
>
> Personally, I would mind x and X mean the same, but I would
> like if x and X would be forbidden to occur in one namespace.

A good way of putting it. Maybe not forbidden, but it should certainly
be sufficently hard for both to occur, to make introducing both by
mistake effectively impossible.

> When skimming the thread, Guido seems to be almost alone...

FWIW, I'm with him on this one.