James J. Besemer jb at
Sun Feb 9 11:30:15 CET 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:

> It is EXACTLY because "if" is already overloaded that I don't want to
> overload it even more!

I think you and others exagerate the cost/danger of overloading "if".

Overall, defining a new interpretation for "if", one that may be
unambiguously discriminated in all cases arguably is better than introducing
a new keyword (which necessarily breaks old code).

> Anyway, (if c then e1 else e2), is better than
> nothing and better than Guido's proposal.

I tend to agree.  The middle-out form is a lot more confusing than the strict
left to right ones.

James J. Besemer		503-280-0838 voice
2727 NE Skidmore St.		503-280-0375 fax
Portland, Oregon 97211-6557	mailto:jb at