More about Debugging Unahndled Exceptions

Lexy Zhitenev zhitenev at cs.vsu.ru
Tue Feb 18 10:27:01 EST 2003

I've read http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/65287.
Very interesting material. I don't want to look through PEPs or post mine.

How about including some basic features into Python itself?

I develop my Python programs in PythonWin. Most of them are graphical. They
use wxPython. The problem is that I simply _can't_ debug such GUI programs.
PythonWin dies with 'Unhandled exception la-la-la'. I write something, then
run the program in the console, watch the printed exceptions, place 'print
var' in the source code, run the program several times, place 'print var' in
other places and when I find the mistake, delete prints, forget them in
other places and so on...

Debugging is hard...

It would be very nice if Python printed not only its traceback, but also the
values of the variables involved in this traceback. Isn't it hard to
implement and is it worth doing?