Pre-PEP ideas

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Feb 17 17:57:19 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 16:18, Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) wrote:
> When I have more than one class in a source file, and I'm
> looking at a method definition, it can be hard to tell which
> class it belongs to. In order to get a sense of where abouts
> I am, I have to scroll up until I find the class statement,
> and then scroll back down again to where I was. This is
> terribly disruptive to one's flow of thought.

If you're implying that this could/should be used for all methods of a
class, then you are implying there should be an entirely different style
of source file.  A file like:

class A: pass

def A.__init__(self):

etc., is quite jarring when compared to the normal Python source file.
Python doesn't need more typographical or syntactic styles.  I can't
even stand the diversity we already have in indentation and naming
conventions.  To have a dramatically different way of expressing
equivalent class structures would just be annoying.

--
Ian Bicking  ianb at colorstudy.com  http://colorstudy.com
4869 N. Talman Ave., Chicago, IL 60625  /  773-275-7241