jython on tomcat

christof hoeke csad7 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 06:51:20 EST 2003

hello,
my isp has tomcat support and i am using jsp for my webpages quite a lot.
servlets are a bit tedious to write in java so i though i use jython for it
as explained in "Jython Essentials" by O'Reilly.

as i understood it, i need to add the infos for the PyServlet to the web.xml
and copy jython.jar to WEB-INF/lib. i configured apache that it forwards
requests for "*.py" to tomcat and tomcat involkes the PyServlet.
this does work for my local maching (Apache 2, Tomcat 4.1.18, Jython 2.1 on
winxp) but not on my webspace (Apache 1.3.x, Tomcat 3.3.1 on linux). i get a
404 from tomcat for all py files. so the forwarding from apache to tomcat
works (my provider installed that), but somehow tomcat cannot locate the py
files.

maybe a silly question, but does jython need to be installed on the
webserver machine? and does python need to be installed too?
i reckoned copying the jython.jar to lib-folder should be sufficient,
although i cannot set the python.home property in web.xml without installed
jython.

any help would be great.

chris