PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Wed Feb 12 21:12:43 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Bengt Richter wrote:
>

>>My fix is
>>    x and {y} or z
>>
>>meaning y is treated as True in logical expression context, but
>>retains its value for purposes of the expression value.
>

> And, as I've pointed out through these threads, I think that cure is
> worse than the disease.

It is in the sense of Tim's way to wrap the objects
into objects with a truth value of true, and having
an ifelse function that picks it out again, just
avoiding that step.

def ifelse(thing): return thing[0]

ifelse(C and [x] or [y])

Both solutions indicate that the truth value association
of objects isn't always to fortunate.

But why is this cure worse than the desease?
What is you way to cure the desease (which exists)?

ciao - chris