Caculate age

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Sat Feb 1 19:00:02 EST 2003

Hints:
    Break down the problem into smaller steps:
        given a birthday in "any format", convert it to a "date" value,
think something simple, such as (year,month,day) as integers
        figure out what "age" means, and create an algorithm to
calculate it for a birthday which is expressed as a date value
            you need to be able to get today's date in your prefered
date format, and the time module can do things like that)
            you need to be able to handle cases where the birthday is
still ahead in the year, and when it is already passed in the year (and
decide what to do on the birthday itself, normally it's considered part
of the following year)

    Watch out for the time module's inability to deal with dates "before
the epoch" (1970)

    If you can define "any format" as "any format you like" (as opposed
to it meaning "every format"), then you can skip the hardest part of the
problem (parsing "any format" for dates is something that just doesn't
have a good solution, given that huge number of formats with ambiguities
between formats).

    I'm assuming you're not being asked to take UTC vs local-time into
account, and similarly that you don't need hour or minute of birth (to
figure out "age" on the person's birthday).  If you do, and you're
asking a question this poorly defined the night before... well... sucks
to be you ;) .

    If you're allowed to use third-party modules (not likely, but you
didn't mention it), consider mx.DateTime, where this is a
straightforward 4 to 6 line script, depending on your coding style (for
most reasonable definitions of "any format").

Anyway, good luck, and watch out for leaving projects to the last moment
:) ,
Mike

--
  Mike C. Fletcher