David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Sat Feb 8 18:24:32 EST 2003

In article <f9068f8e.0302081508.8615a97 at posting.google.com>,
 janto_d at hotmail.com (Janto Dreijer) wrote:

> I find it difficult to imagine a situation where the short-circuit
> behavior actually matters. Theoretically an ifelse function doesn't do
> the same thing, but practically it does: Whenever I've used ternary
> ops there weren't any side effects to evaluating both arguments.
> Neither any performance ones.
>
> Can someone give me a real world example of its usefulness?

There have already been a couple of examples posted in this thread,
where one side contains an array reference that could give an array out
of bounds if the condition is not met.

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/