David Eppstein eppstein at
Sun Feb 9 00:24:32 CET 2003

In article <f9068f8e.0302081508.8615a97 at>,
 janto_d at (Janto Dreijer) wrote:

> I find it difficult to imagine a situation where the short-circuit
> behavior actually matters. Theoretically an ifelse function doesn't do
> the same thing, but practically it does: Whenever I've used ternary
> ops there weren't any side effects to evaluating both arguments.
> Neither any performance ones.
> Can someone give me a real world example of its usefulness?

There have already been a couple of examples posted in this thread,
where one side contains an array reference that could give an array out
of bounds if the condition is not met.

David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at