Python Threading front end

Aahz aahz at
Tue Feb 4 17:50:21 CET 2003

In article <dent-0402031613220001 at>,
Andy Dent <dent at> wrote:
>In article <3bebb915.0301311636.21966519 at>,
>ajb128 at (AJ) wrote:
>>I see that python has no problem running multiple threads as long as
>>the threads aren't running python code.
>I've seen quite a bit of threaded code -
>is a fine example.

Yes, but AJ is correct: it's not running concurrent Python code.  In
order to have multiple threads executing simultaneously, you must call
out to an extension module that releases the Global Interpreter Lock.
Most of Python's I/O functions do this automatically.
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."  --Richard Bach