PEP 308: Pep Update

Tim Rowe tim at remove_if_not_spam.digitig.co.uk
Thu Feb 27 21:13:13 EST 2003

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) wrote:
> Tim Rowe wrote:
>
>> has anybody already pointed out that practically every C/C++ coding
>> standard (certainly /all/ I've ever seen) deprecates the use of the ?:
>> ternary operator, because it's infamous for producing unmaintainable
>> code?
>

> But is that because of the idea of a conditional
> expression in general, or just the particular
> syntax used in C?

I don't know.  It's a symptom -- the use of C's ternary operator tends
to cause problems -- but I don't know the cause.

After reading all the postings, I still don't see why a ternary operator
would be of value.  Most languages I use don't have one, and in the one
that does I don't use it, and it's never affected my ability to
effectively express what I've wanted to express.