Errors during 'make' of Python 2.2.2 - /usr/local/include a non-system directory?!

Erik Max Francis max at
Thu Feb 13 00:58:08 CET 2003

Zorba wrote:

> The first is this:
> cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory
> "/usr/local/include"
> cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system
> directory
> Not sure what to make of this, or how to fix it, since Linux is still
> so new to me. Suggestions?

Don't worry about this one.

> The other errors seem centered around dbm modules:
> WARNING: building of extension "dbm" failed: command 'gcc' failed with
> exit
> status 1
> building 'bsddb' extension
> WARNING: removing "bsddb" since importing it failed
> Again, I'm not sure how seriously to take this. I do use shelves a lot
> when I'm working with Python on Windows. What are these errors telling
> me, and should I do anything about it?

It's saying that an extension failed to build; if you don't need that
extension, don't worry about it.  Maybe you don't have the appropriate
dbm stuff installed.

 Erik Max Francis / max at /
/  \ You cannot step into the same river once.
\__/ Cratylus
    Python chess module /
 A chess game adjudicator in Python.