PEP 308: I liked the original proposal better

Steven Taschuk staschuk at
Fri Feb 14 21:11:01 CET 2003

Quoth Mel Wilson:
> In article <mailman.1045199224.19020.python-list at>,
> Andrew Bennetts <andrew-pythonlist at> wrote:
> >Sure, but the Python I know also tends to be about doing things the
> >Left-to-Right way ;)
> How do you program Python without assignment statements?

Why, by using the assignment-to-lambda refactoring, of course!
Instead of
	x = 2
	return x**2
	return (lambda x: x**2)(2)

(This kind of thing is made much of one of in Steele's lambda

Steven Taschuk           | Kinsley's Law: "Every public
staschuk at |  frenzy produces legislation