win32file.pyd Device Error on W95

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Thu Feb 20 13:29:11 EST 2003

On Thursday 20 February 2003 10:44, Erno Kuusela wrote:
> In article <mailman.1045691997.32767.python-list at python.org>, Carlos
>
> Ribeiro <cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br> writes:
> | The second problem is X Windows. Everyone knows that X is big, slow,
> | and too complex for the intended application - a simple desktop for
> | everyday use.
>
> X works just fine if you have at least 16 MB of ram if you don't try
> to use a bloated desktop environment like gnome or kde, or big apps
> like modern graphical web browsers.
>
> i used X, fvwm, netscape 3 and emacs with a 16MB 486 for a good
> while...

I've been there too. And don't get me wrong, I use Linux almost exclusively
now for my personal uses - web browsing, email, programming and writing. But
for the same amount of CPU power and memory, W95 (or W98 for that matter)
looks nicer - with antialiased fonts and good color support - and runs
smoother than X with any given WM.

BTW, most people never mind to take a look at the X spec itself. I did, and I
can say it's a nightmare. Part of the problem is that X tried to solve a much
more difficult problem than Windows did - it was born to be network aware a
long, long time ago. I think it was a case of something born before the right
time, and with no chance to go back and start over from the scratch. That's
why almost everyone uses one of the advanced widget sets available and leave
X at a safe distance.
--

Carlos Ribeiro
cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br