Why use Python instead of Perl?

William wilk-spamout at flibuste.net
Wed Feb 5 11:50:39 EST 2003

walterbyrd at iname.com (walterbyrd) writes:

> I am learning some perl, I don't know any python. I think perl is a
> butt-ugly language, but perl does seem to be functional. Can anybody
> answer a few questions about python for me?
>
> 1) Is python good for system administration tasks?
yes

> 2) Is python good for web development?
yes

> 3) Does python interact well with MySQL?
yes

> 4) Do many web-hosts allow scripts to be written in python? Tons of
> dirt-cheap web-hosts have perl scripting, what about python?
not many, but enough

> 5) If I know perl, is there any reason to learn python?
>
> 6) For what is python best suited?
quick and clear developpement, scripting, web...

> I have programmed in over a dozen languages. I am reluctant to learn
> more. I have been learning perl, because it seems to be the only
> language that does all that stuff I have mentioned in my questions.

For this reason, i choose python ! since, i don't need any other
langage (i was using java, php, C, windev (like delphi), msaccess, sh)

Like said, try it, you will be surprise how quickly you will know if
python is for you or not.

--
William Dode - http://flibuste.net