PEP 308 - suggestion for generalising the ternary operator

Damien Morton newsgroups1 at bitfurnace.com
Wed Feb 12 22:42:07 EST 2003

I tend to think that using the colon in a conditional selection expression
makes it hard to distinguish from a dictionary

Any comments on the original proposed form? Is the question mark as an
operator too scary?

(cond?value, cond?value, cond?value, cond?value, default_value)
(cond?true_value, false_value)
vs.
(cond:value, cond:value, cond:value, cond:value, default_value)
(cond:true_value, false_value)

some other ideas:
(cond->value, cond->value, cond->value, cond->value, default_value)
(cond->value, default_value)
or
(cond=>value, cond=>value, cond=>value, cond=>value, default_value)
(cond=>value, default_value)

news:3E4AE4F1.6397A292 at alcyone.com...