PEP 308: Rejection of C ?? T || F

Erik Max Francis max at
Sat Feb 15 05:48:06 CET 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Half wrong, right, don't know.  Sheffer used | in 1913 for his
> postulates for Boolean algebra.  By Boolean duality (where you swap T
> with F and and with or), p|q can be consistently interpreted as either
> not(p or q) or not(p and q), but I this the former is how it is
> thought of more often.

And the symbol when used that way is actually called the "Sheffer
stroke," though I've only seen it used to indicate the latter meaning,
not (p and q).

 Erik Max Francis / max at /
/  \ There was one thing I didn't show / I love him and he doesn't know
\__/ Zhane Return to Wolfenstein /
 A personal guide to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.