itertools comments [Was: Re: RELEASED: Python 2.3a2]

Paul Rubin http
Thu Feb 20 18:00:47 EST 2003

"Raymond Hettinger" <vze4rx4y at verizon.net> writes:
> > Wouldn't `xfilter`, `xmap` etc. be a better naming convention than
> > `ifilter`, `imap` etc?
>
> There were a number of possible naming styles and, in the end,
> it is the module writer's perogative.
>
> The i-prefix is supposed to be a reminder that the functions return
> iterators.  It has a nice, snappy feel to it and is unapologetic about
> any resemblance to names used in Apple/MacIntosh marketing.

imap is also an email transfer protocol.  A python program I'm hacking
on now has an imap class that implementst that protocol.  I guess I'll
have to rename it.

I think xrange, etc. are already a convention for the closest thing
Python has traditionally had to iterators.  Maybe those functions
should just be updated to make ordinary iterators.