Web application development in Python?

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 4 10:11:18 EST 2003

Howdy y'all,

For work, we're going to need a Python web application framework.  It seems
there are quite a few out there, e.g. Albatross, Quixote, Webware, SkunkWeb,
etc.  All of these could be potential candidates.

However, there is a slight problem.  The eventual app will run on Linux, but it
will have to be developed on Windows.  Most of the programs above seem to be
Linux- (or more specifically, Apache-) oriented.  Also, if possible, we'd
rather avoid CGI, because of the overhead it incurs.  (For testing and
developing it's fine, but not when we actually run the app "live".)

Zope comes to mind, but I wonder if that would be overkill... we don't want to
develop a really complex app, so something simple and light-weight will do.

Also, we don't want to reinvent the wheel.  Creating a minimal web app with CGI
gets you a long way, but we want to (re)use existing code if possible.  I have
only limited experience with web programming (some ASP/VBScript, done in the
dark days of my past). So I am looking for advice from someone with more
experience in this.

(By the way, ASP had sessions; are there Python web app systems that provide a
similar mechanism?)

Thanks,

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)