interactive interpreter, debugger and broken arrow keys with Mac OS X 10.2 Terminal

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Feb 13 08:32:12 EST 2003

Jim Correia <noone at nowhere.com.invalid> writes:

> In article <mailman.1045096428.18523.python-list at python.org>,
>  Jp Calderone <exarkun at intarweb.us> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 12:12:14AM +0000, Jim Correia wrote:
> > > When using the interactive interpreter or debugger with the Mac OS X
> > > Terminal my arrow keys don't work as I'd expect (as they do in the
> > > shell, gdb, etc.). Instead I get escape sequences like: ^[[A.
> > >
> > > How do I fix this?
> >
> >   Enable readline support.  This may be as simple as importing the
> > "readline" module, or as difficult as building Python from source.
>
> At the risk of asking the obvious, where can I read about this
> (importing readline) support?

Google for 'bbum' and 'readline', I think.  Ah yes, this would seem to
be it:

    http://radio.weblogs.com/0100490/2002/09/25.html

Or <plug> try pyrepl (now *that's* an easy google).

Cheers,
M.

--
  I'm okay with intellegent buildings, I'm okay with non-sentient
  buildings. I have serious reservations about stupid buildings.