PEP 308 vote type (was Re: Update to PEP308: if-then-else expression)

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Feb 12 17:47:13 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:40:13 -0500, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>"Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy)" <tdelaney at avaya.com> wrote in message
>
>+0 on having a ternary at all (was -0, but found an option I liked);
>
>That is not exactly an option.  The currently-used ternary,
>conditional on the first option being non-null, is "test and opt1 or
 My latest idea focuses on fixing this instead of inventing a new ternary.

>opt 2".  To me, 100 uses in the standard library makes it
>quasi-officially 'blessed'.  In any case, it is a straightforward
>application of Python's syntax rules.  This is the status quo that a
>no vote is voting for.

The idea works by marking the first option so that it will be treated
as True in logical expression context, but without changing its value. E.g.,

    cond and {x} or y
or
    cond and {x} or {y}

for the sake of stylistic symmetry, if desired.

Regards,
Bengt Richter