Attitude about new keywords

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at
Sun Feb 9 23:26:18 CET 2003

Paul Rubin <phr-n2003b at> wrote:
> In fact I'd say Python could use quite a few new keywords, where it
> currently uses __xxx__ variables.  People often compare Python's
> indentation to Lisp's parentheses as the "initially annoying feature
> that you learn to love".  But I'd say __ is more in that category.
> Examples: IMO,
> 1. in a class definition,
>      class foo(object):
>            __slots__ = ['name', 'address', 'zip]
>    would be better as
>         class foo(object):
>            slots: name, address, zip

[snip more examples]

I rather like the __foo__ standing out saying "here something special
is happening". When you use a __foo__ construction often you're telling the
language that it should behave differently from its default behavior.
Now it's likely also what one's used to, but I wouldn't want to discount
this potential advantage of the '__' to start with.