PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Tue Feb 11 20:18:47 EST 2003

> [holger krekel]
> >       x and y else z
>
> [Christian Tismer]
> > What I like so much about the proposal is, that it cures an existing
> > construct, does not introduce new keywords, and it is small, although
> > it uses words, only.
> >
> > I have the strong feeling that it will make it.
>
> [Tim Peters]
> Redefining truth used to be easier <wink>:  I mentioned it to Guido late
> afternoon, and his reaction was that it must have been cooked up by someone
> who spent too much time in this thread.

Indeed.  Does this reaction indicate anything in particular?

> > Holger, this was an outstanding, genial idea!
>
> In the context of this thread, I agree.  Stepping back, there have been lots
> of ideas in these threads that wouldn't have gotten a second glance had they
> been proposed a month ago.  However, it may be hard to tell the difference
> unless you're Guido <wink>.

Maybe he could help us by outruling some possibilities so we don't spend
another 1000 hours (combined) discussing mute issues.  We played around
to quite some exhaustion already <wink>.  From his original PEP I e.g
read that he is not ready to introduce a new keyword for a "minor feature".
That's still the case i guess.

    holger