STV again (was Re: PEP 308 vote type (was Re: Update to PEP308: if-then-else expression))

Manuel Garcia news at manuelmgarcia.com
Wed Feb 12 19:49:00 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:15:32 -0500, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu>
wrote:
(edit)
>Here is a 'do both' compromise.  List alternatives A, B, C, ... with
>'do-nothing' at top or bottom.  Voting instruction: list alternatives
>in order of preference, and use a vertical bar '|' to separate
>acceptable from unacceptable alternatives.  Example: CA|BD.  Then the
>votes could be analyzed both as preference votes and and approval
>votes.  (Python makes this pretty simple to do 8-).  Given that the
>vote is advisory, multiple analyses are acceptible, even with varying
>results.

This is a great idea!

One problem though, there would be so many ways to "slice-and-dice"
the results, you could prove almost anything.  The Pro and Con people
will twist the statistics to show a majority of c.l.p agrees with
them.

But since the one person with the biggest stake in the results is
making the ultimate decision, I can't imagine much controversy with
the decision from people who simply want to be productive in Python.

Manuel