why not extending the syntax for classes, too ?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Feb 8 16:03:27 EST 2003

holger krekel wrote:

> Erik Max Francis wrote:
>
> > I don't understand this point, you seem to have completely
> > sidestepped
> > my objections.
> >
> > As it stands, `is' already has a very specific meaning, and is
> > totally
> > unrelated to definition adornments.
>
> True, that's why it's a good choice.

Bluh, what?  It seems like you're sidestepping them too.  `as' has no
meaning in this context either, so it's just as "good a choice" on these
merits.

> Isn't that exactly why 'as' is not a good idea?  With
>
>     def check() as trace:
>
> one could think that i have just defined a function named
> 'trace' because somebody teached me how 'import name as othername'
> works.

Do you really think that's a likely misunderstanding?  It doesn't seem
very likely to me at all, especially when accompanied by constructs such
as

	def m(self) as staticmethod: ...

/  \ Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
\__/ Charles Lamb
    The laws list / http://www.alcyone.com/max/physics/laws/
 Laws, rules, principles, effects, paradoxes, etc. in physics.