ODBC / DAO installation using Python?

dsavitsk dsavitsk at e-coli.net
Wed Feb 5 14:50:51 EST 2003

"David" <dlashar at sprynet.com> wrote in message
news:b1r5eb$60c$1 at slb1.atl.mindspring.net...
> I have a Python app running on Windows.  It uses the standard odbc and dib
> modules to connect to an MS Access database.  I'm also using DAO to create
> DSN entries and run compact-and-repair on the database (from Python, using
> the COM client facilities).  Everything is working just fine, but now it's
> time to deploy the app to users, not all of whom (I must assume) will have
> ODBC and DAO installed on their machines.  I know this is a hybrid
> Python/Win question, but if anyone in the Python community has
suggestions,
> I'd be grateful.  Without some way to install ODBC and DAO (not just make
> use of it), I can't distribute my Python app.  I've done a lot of googling
> and other research, but to no avail.  Thanks in advance,

You can download Jet (~Access w/o an interface) for free from MS (note that
in the back of my head is a thought that DAO support has been removed from
Jet, but I am not sure about this).  You can also look at how something like
VB packages the DAO libraries and do the same with your app.  By using shell
you can have your program register the components the first time it runs, or
every time it runs, so long as the user has admin privileges.

If your users don't have DAO, then I presume they don't have Access.  If
this is the case, try MSDE instead of Jet (MSDE is more or less SQL Server
w/o an interface and comes w/ VS6 I think).

You might also simply suggest that they install Jet before your app will
run.

-d