ANN: eGenix mxODBC Zope Database Adapter, Version 1.0.0
mal at lemburg.com
Fri Feb 28 21:59:37 CET 2003
mxODBC Zope Database Adapter
(for Zope 2.5 and 2.6)
The eGenix mxODBC Zope Database Adapter (Zope DA) allows you to easily
connect your Zope installation to just about any database backend on
the market today, giving you the reliability of the commercially
supported eGenix.com product mxODBC and the flexibility of the ODBC
standard as middle-tier architecture.
Unlike Zope's ZODBC Zope DA, the mxODBC Zope DA works on Windows
XP/NT/2000/98/95, Linux and Solaris using the same interface on all
The mxODBC Zope DA implements thread-safe connection pooling and
multiple physical connects per logical Zope connection. You can safely
run Z SQL Methods in parallel, achieving a much better performance
than ZODBC Zope DA or similar Zope database adapters under heavy load.
This makes it ideal for deployment in Zope Clusters and Zope hosting
environments where stability and high performance are a top priority.
* Zope Level 3 Database Adapter: the mxODBC Zope DA is fully
multi-threaded and can handle multiple connections to multiple
* Fully compatible to Z SQL Methods.
* Fully compatible to the Znolk SQL Wizard Product and other similar
products relying on the common database schema access methods
.tables() and .columns().
* Connection Pooling: physical database connections are pooled and
kept open, to reduce the connection overhead to a minimum. This is
especially important for high latency database connections and ones
like Oracle which take a considerable amount of time to setup
* Parallel Execution of Queries on a single logical connection: the
mxODBC Zope DA can manage any number of physical connections on a
single logical connection. This enables running truly parallel Z SQL
Method queries -- a feature not available in other Zope DAs.
* Robust Mode of Operation: connections which have timed out or go
away due to network problems are automatically reconnected.
* Cross-platform Connection Objects: The Zope DA will automatically
choose the right platform specific ODBC manager for you.
* Per Connection Adjustable ODBC Interface: mxODBC comes with many
different subpackages to choose from on Unix. The Zope DA allows you
to select these subpackages on a per-connection basis.
* Per Connection Error Handling: you can tell each connection whether
it should report ODBC warnings or not; furthermore all warnings and
errors are made available as list .messages on the DatabaseConnection
* Transaction safe automatic reconnect: when the DA finds that a
connection has timed out, it automatically tries a reconnect
and replays the transaction on the connection (unlike other DAs
which break the transaction scheme by doing a reconnect without
* Built-in Schema Cache: this results in improved performance under
* Database Schema Access: all ODBC catalog methods are made available
for much better database schema inquiry. The catalog methods allow
building generic database interrogation or manipulation tools and
facilitates writing database independent Zope products.
For more information on the mxODBC Zope DA, licensing and download
instructions, please visit our web-site:
Professional Python Software directly from the Source (#1, Feb 28 2003)
>>> Python/Zope Products & Consulting ... http://www.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ... http://python.egenix.com/
Python UK 2003, Oxford: 32 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium: 116 days left
More information about the Python-list