PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Feb 12 10:04:48 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> Paul Rubin wrote:
>
> > => is the traditional mathematical symbol for boolean implication.
> > -> looks more to me like some kind of pointer operation.  But either
> > one is ok with me for this.
>
> Not to nitpick into the ground, but the traditional symbol for
> implication is an arrow with only one horizonal line.

In which context?  In my world, => is implication.  It's even
$\implies$ in LaTeX, I think. -> is often used to denote a map.

> In mathematics when the double line version is used, it's often used
> to mean something else, like "is equivalent to" or "evaluates to."

Equivalent to is often <=>.  Using => to mean equivalence would be
daft notation, even by mathematical standards.

I have seen => used to mean "evaluates to", but generally in a
computer context.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Every now and then, Google doesn't throw up what I need so I start
  checking Altavista, Yahoo, etc.  In almost every single case, I am