Python/Java integration (Jython)

Fredrik root at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 20 05:29:16 EST 2003

I'm looking for a scripting environment to add to a current project I'm
working on and I stumbled across Python. The majority of the application I'm
working on is written in Java and so it is my understanding that the Jython
package implements a Python/Java bridge. Now, I have some questions
regarding Jython:

1. Has anyone of you worked with Jython? What are your opinions on it?
2. Is Jython considered being of "production" quality, ie can I safely
integrate it into the project without worrying about it seriously affecting
the stability of the project as a whole?
3. I would like to be able to execute a Python script from the Java
application, and have that script create java object and call java methods.
Would this be feasible? Can the called Python script execute code residing
in the calling Java application?

Any input you might have on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Fredrik