PEP308: Yet another syntax proposal

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 11 03:00:22 EST 2003

holger krekel wrote:

> James J. Besemer wrote:
>
> > You silly.
>
> This is not a great way to argue.  Despite the huge amount of
> discussions we have managed to have a rather friendly discussion.
> Why do you want to change it?

Holger, I'm presuming that English isn't your primary language, so maybe
you don't know this, but "You silly" is an idiom which is quite frankly
very playful and is not at all what I'd call unfriendly (unprofessional,
maybe).

If someone says, "You silly!  So and so," they are in a way playfully
disagreeing.  The tone may not be right, but I don't think it has quite
the negative connotations that you're perceiving from it.

/  \ There I was / There I was / Splitting atoms with my desire
\__/ Lamya
    Computer science / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/compsci/
 A computer science reference.