Moving Language Cuisinart project to Windows?

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Tue Feb 11 20:13:03 EST 2003

* Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> [2003-02-11 18:23 -0600]:
> In <20030211222954.GA763 at mephisto.ghaering.test>, Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= <gerhard.haering at gmx.de> typed:
> > * Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> [2003-02-11 21:14 +0000]:
> > > Now the client wants it on Windows. My question is - what's the right
> > > toolset for this?
> > gcc :-) In its mingw incarnation: http://sf.net/projects/mingw/
> >
> > Note that it's currently not possible to *embed* Python under mingw
>
> Well, I need to embed Python - and call it from FORTRAN, no less.

Bad luck for using mingw currently, then. I guess it's not possible to
convert all the fortran stuff to shared libraries that you use *from
Python*?

> I'm also extending Python with FORTRAN. That's what makes this
> interesting.
>
> > Making embedding possible via making Python compile with the native
> > win32 gcc toolchain is on my TODO list for a long time now, but I
> > currently can't find enough time to bring this to an end :-(
>
> How big a project is that?

For a "Unix consultant", probably less big than for me ;-) It's
basically adding some #ifdefs to the Python source code and hacking
configure.in and Makefile.in. Short version: the whole autotools drama.

> Or do the words "native win32 gcc toolchain" imply something other
> than just building Python (and Tcl/Tk!) to run on Windows with cygwin
> installed.

Parse error.

> And building a dll to link against, of course.

The interesting question is wether you can build a Tcl/Tk on Cygwin that
does *not* depend on X. If the answer is yes, then all your problems are
solved. Cygwin, however, is GPLed. That may be an issue for you, or
again not. I've heard once on python-list that the non-GPL license of
Cygwin is quite expensive.

If the requirement, however, is only "run on Windows", then an X11-based
Tcl/Tk running on Windows might not be an issue, either. You'll just
need an X Server for Windows then, either. Cygwin's or a little more
refined one that doesn't require a full X11 workspace but can handle X11
windows as win32 Windows for seamless integration in the Windows UI.

> > I'd also like to suggest you switch your build process to distutils, if
> > you haven't already. Cross-platform issues then normally just disappear.
>
> Distutils can be used to build binaries that don't involve any python
> at all?

No.

> I was going to use Jam if I didn't wind up on cygwin or something
> similar.

Probably a good idea.

Gerhard
--