interacting with gui-based programs

Jeff bronzesink77 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 18 23:45:17 EST 2003

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Jeff wrote:
>
> > I'd like to use Python to automate my interactions with graphical user
> > interfaces, such as those of Mozilla and Kazaa (running with Wine). Is
> > this possible? Are there libraries that can help with this kind of
> > thing?
>
> Google for AutoIt. It's not Python, but it does have an Active/X
> interface, which I'm using via Mark Hammond's win32com package. Not sure
> how well any of that stuff works under Wine though.
>
> Actually, if you go to Google groups you can search for AutoIt on c.l.py -
> somebody mentioned it several months back and IIRC posted a snippet of
> code on how to use it.
>
> -Dave

Thanks for the reply. I must say, I'm surprised that the only way to
interact with the GUI of Mozilla and Kazaa running on Linux is using a
closed-source program (AutoIt). Do langauges other than Python have
modules that could be compiled and used with Python to interact with
these GUIs? What language could AutoIt be written in that is more
capable than Python?

Thanks.

-Jeff