PEP 305 - CSV File API

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sat Feb 1 08:50:12 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     * What  about conversion to other file formats? Is the list-of-lists
>       output from the csvreader sufficient to feed into other writers?

It could also be interesting to be able to use attribute access
to fields:

for row in cvsreader:
  ... row.field1 ...
  ... row.field2 ...

and dictionary is sometimes needed, like in this example:

for row in cvsreader:
  print "%(field1)s - %(field2)s" % row.field1

But these examples assume I need to provide names to fields.

(Those examples are from my log parsing code. Logs are kind of CSV too ;)

That is, there is a need for an optional mechanism to name fields on
reading. However, attribute access is not suitable in case names are
arbitrary, so row["field1"] notation is the only one left.

>    http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0305.html
>
>    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/python/nondist/sandbox/csv/

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--