PB to install PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5

Jim jbublitzNO at SPAMnwinternet.com
Mon Feb 10 17:15:30 EST 2003

jsaul wrote:
> * Gerard Breiner [2003-02-10 10:21]:

>>I carried out the update de python to python 2.2.2 and i succeeded  to
>>install "sip" and PyQt but not PyKDE.
>>The result of the command "make" to compile PyKDE is :

>>cd kdecore; "/usr/bin/make"
>>make[1]: Entering directory `/home/admin/PyKDE-3.3.2/kdecore'
>>g++ -c -pipe -O2 -fPIC -DSIP_MAKE_MODULE_DLL -DNO_DEBUG -fno-exceptions -I-I
>> -I../extraH -I. -I/usr/local/include/python2.2 -I/usr/include/kde -I/usr/li
>>b/qt-2.3.1/include -o kdecorecmodule.o kdecorecmodule.cpp
>>In file included from sip/kstyle.sip:42,
>>                 from kdecorecmodule.cpp:129:
>>/usr/include/kde/kstyle.h:38: parse error before `{'
>>/usr/include/kde/kstyle.h:39: non-member function `className ()' cannot

> I cannot say for sure, because I don't use KDE, but

>>An idea ?

> the reason could be incompatible versions of KDE and Qt, because
> the error obviously occurs when parsing a KDE header file (which
> has previously included the (possibly wrong) Qt headers).

I replied to a similar msg from the same poster on the
PyKDE list. I'm also not sure what Qt/KDE versions are
involved, but the point of failure is the KStyle class
declaration. KStyle is a subclass of QPlatinumStyle.
The poster indicated he's using RH7.2, which I believe
uses a Qt2 version, and in some distributions the Qt2
version was compiled without some of the Qt features,
possibly including QPlatinumStyle.

You might expect a problem like that to only show up
at link, but it might possibly show up at compile time
due to the way PyKDE C++ code is generated (code
generation is done on the user's machine).

> However, without more specific version information it makes little
> sense to speculate any further. I have installed PyQt 3.4 with Qt
> 2.3.1 without any problems, but without KDE.

At the moment, PyQt supports just about any Qt version
going back the some Qt1 versions. PyKDE supports KDE 2.1.1
through KDE 3.0.4, with KDE 3.1 support in the works. The
installed Qt and KDE versions have to be compatible however.

> Is there no way to disable KDE support in KDE? That *might*
> allready solve the problem.

I'm not sure what "disable KDE support in KDE" means. It
might be possible to ignore KStyle (where the compile
above is failing) if it isn't supported in the user's
version of Qt, but it's more likely to work if the user
recompiles Qt to support all of KDE. That assumes of
course that the problem is missing Qt features in the
first place.

This has probably come up in the past, but I haven't
searched the PyKDE list archives yet. It's a simple
test for the user ("from qt import QPlatinumStyle"),
and if it fails he'll have the answer. If that doesn't
fail then the problem is somewhere else and I'll do
some more digging to come up with a fix for him.

Jim