Python license - Can I use it for my own software?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Feb 6 13:39:04 EST 2003

[dsavitsk]
> Why is there no link on python.org's main page to a license?  Or is there
> and I just don't find it.

There is no license in the sense you're looking for.  Each release of Python
is under a distinct license, so you need to go to a (any) "download Python"
page to find a link to the license for that specific release of Python.  For
example, follow the home page's "Python 2.2" link, and then follow the
latter's "License" link to find the license for Python 2.2.2:

    http://www.python.org/2.2.2/license.html

The licenses differ in obvious ways, like s/2.2.1/2.2.2/, but need to be
distinct just because of that.