wasting development time (was)

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Tue Feb 4 04:01:05 EST 2003

Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 05:10:18AM +0000, Brandon Van Every wrote:
>>
>> The C++ way to deal with [unforseeable functionality] is the virtual
function.  If you
>> cannot forsee at least that much of your design, then you are
>> chasing shadows.  Maybe your particular problem domain requires that
>> shadows be chased.  Mine don't.
>
> Or am I misunderstanding what this thread is talking about?

I think this thread is about somewhat forseeable vs. totally unforseeable
design choices.  I say, there are plenty of problem domains where you can
partly forsee what you need.  My 3D code is one of those.  If you can partly
forsee what you need, a C++ virtual function is a plenty adequate answer to
the problem of design flexibility.  Infinite flexibility in the face of the
totally unforseeable doesn't get you anywhere, at some point you still have
to figure out what you're doing.

20% of the world is real.