(PEP-308) Python's Conditional Selection Operators

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Feb 16 15:36:15 EST 2003

Gareth McCaughan wrote:

> Erik's article did not imply that Lisp defines a standard others
> have to follow. I cannot imagine why you think it did. He explicitly
> said that there's "no such thing" as "the standard versions", and
> I'd have thought the "for example" was a dead giveaway that he wasn't
> claiming that everyone has to do what Lisp does.

Indeed, I'm surprised someone would suggest I meant otherwise.

> A sudden thought occurs to me. You didn't think,
> did you, that Erik was saying that Lisp uses "C and x or y" to
> do conditionals? I'm quite sure he wasn't, but if by some chance
> he was then he was completely wrong.

Indeed, I wasn't.  Lisp doesn't need such a construct, since its `if'
special form already acts as both the if statement and a conditional
operator in Python (since Lisp is functional, there's no distinction, so
they're one and the same).

/  \ If a thing is worth doing, then it is worth doing badly.
\__/ G.K. Chesterton
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.