PEP 308: Alternative conditional operator forms

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Mon Feb 10 15:55:10 EST 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:

> Erik, thanks for offering your time to prepare the list.

Yes, thanks.

> However, I think we
> should first make sure that there is a majority of Pythonistas favorable to
> the introduction of the ternary operator.  There is no point in arguing
> between us about the more pythonic solution if 80% of users are already
> against the ternary operator.

I disagree in the strongest possible terms.

A majority might well vote against the PEP as stands today.  In the absence
of the best possible syntax, voting NO might be the right answer.  But many
people have indicated by their posts that they don't fully understand the
concept.  Sheesh, 500+ emails into the discussion people were still
indicating that they didn't 'get' that the construct short circuits, and thus
cannot be defined as an ordinary function call.

Now (some 1500+ messages later) I sense that we've made some progress since
Guidio's original post in narrowing the field of alternatives, and killing
off some dead ends.  But we're far from consensus and seems there's plenty
more to be discussed.

Anyway, per the PEP on PEPs, discussing and revising the PEP is a normal part
of the process before voting ocurrs.  Building consensus is an express part
of the process.

Thus I view motions to vote prematurely as an underhanded attempt to kill the
proposal by bypassing the normal procedure.

There is no RUSH.  We have plenty of time to work this out.

Regards

--jb

--
James J. Besemer		503-280-0838 voice