"More data is available" Error With _winreg Module

John Abel johnfabel at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 9 09:14:37 EST 2003

Hi,

I've had a little more time to look at this.  As documentation is a
little scarce for _winreg, I downloaded the Python source from CVS, to
have a look at _winreg.c.  From what I can tell, PyQueryValueEx, and
PyEnumValue don't seem to allow for extending the buffer passed to
RegQueryValueEx.  When RegQueryValueEx is called on
HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA, it can/will return ERROR_MORE_DATA if the buffer
is too small, as would seem to be the case with my error message.

Just as an aside, I've been playing with modifying _winreg.c, but for
some reason I can't compile it.  When I build the pythoncore, the linker
fails with "unresolved external symbol _inititertools".  Anyone seen
that, or is it something I'm doing?  I'm using VisualStudio6.

Thanks

John