Tutorial on how to use Emacs to program Python

Andrew McGregor andrew at indranet.co.nz
Sun Feb 23 07:25:40 EST 2003

--On Saturday, 22 February 2003 8:41 p.m. +0800 Peter Wu
<peterwu at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:
>
>> Peter Wu wrote:
>>
>>> What if there are many users on a machine? They'd have to carry their
>>> own
>>> .emacs files to enable Python-mode. Why can't we just do something so
>>> that
>>> the Python-mode can be automatically launched just like cc-mode or
>>> else?
>>
>> What if they want different versions of python-mode?  What if they want
>> to hand-customize it differently?
>
> I don't think this argument makes sense as what if they want different
> versions of cc-mode?

Actually, they can have different cc-modes; if you load a mode it replaces
what was previously there, although you can get stale variables and
functions just as you can in python when reloading a module.  This is how
you develop emacs modes.

And, as many have pointed out, there's actually a really comprehensive
system for allowing customisation both per user and system wide.

If you feel like compiling from source, you can even make python-mode a
real builtin.

Andrew (once emacs maintainer for a university department, where we had
four variants of LaTeX mode and two of TeX)