OO patterns with Python

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Feb 11 18:24:15 EST 2003

Michele Simionato wrote:
> As many others have said, patterns are not so important in Python.

Heh -- let me get on record as firmly disagreeing with this.

Not the SAME patterns you might use in some other language,
of course, but, Python has its own -- and they're just as
much of a help to your design (and design maintenance) as
in any other language.

> I would suggest you start from the _Python Cookbook_, which contains
> quite a lot of good stuff (and a chapter on OOP, too).

By the way of qualifications, which I think may make my
above-mentioned opinion of interest, I co-edited that book
and in particular wrote the introduction to that chapter.

I also wrote and presented at IPC10 a paper on Python
*NON*-patterns, see www.aleax.it/Python/5ep.html -- so I'm
no *rabid fan* of patterns whether they're appropriate or
not -- but I think some patterns often ARE quite perfectly
appropriate, in Python just as in other languages (though,
to repeat, not the same patterns -- appropriate DP's to use
ARE language dependent, as the authors of the classic book
"Design Patterns" strongly emphasize too).

> This has been already suggested, but "repetita iuvant".
> I think he "Cookbook" is worth its money, whereas I am not sure about
> some of the more theoretical (as opposed to practical) books on patterns.

Highly theoretical works can be more appropriate _after_
one has gained practical grounding in the praxis of some
field, yes.  And the Cookbook is good to guide you to get
some of that "practical grounding", I agree.

Alex