c.l.py.{help,future,library,language,misc,advocacy,gui,platform-dependent,moderated,ternary,peps,whining,flamewar,timbot,obfuscated,goto}

rzed Dick.Zantow at lexisnexis.com
Sun Feb 9 09:36:05 EST 2003

James Kew wrote:
> Anton Muhin wrote:
>> Patrick Useldinger wrote:
>>> Splitting this newsgroup *is* a great idea, as reading it tends to
>>> become a full-time job, and not everybody either reads it at work,
>>> or is able to work only 8 hours a day ;-)
>>
>> Quite agree, what can be done for it?
>
> Stop thinking you have to read it all? I'm pretty selective about
> which threads I read, and I'll happily ignore or mark-read any
> threads which don't interest me: I have no problem keeping up with
> c.l.p. (Python-URL! is pretty good at highlighting any gems I skip
> or miss, too.)
>
> Splitting the newsgroup -- and the mailing-list, don't forget that
> c.l.p is a mirror of python-list -- would simply mean N groups to
> keep up with rather than 1 (or 2, if you also follow python-dev).
>
> And it'll mean many more posts to the wrong group, crossposted
> across multiple groups, or multiposted across multiple groups. This
> already happens regularly on python-dev: although it's not as
> visible as c.l.p, as it isn't mirrored to a Usenet group
> (www.gmane.org nonwithstanding), it still sees two or three posts a
> week which get politely redirected back to python-list.

There are many ways of categorizing Python users, but at least this
division is natural:

(1) Some people are concerned with issues about how Python will
develop, what new features will be added, and so on. This goes beyond
what (in my understanding) python-dev is intended to do. Some of us
are interested, but are either unwilling or unable to contribute to
actual development of the code; we just want to see where it's headed.
What about directing discussion of PEPs to a group (like c.l.py.peps),
with a bare announcement in c.l.py that a new thread has popped up?

(2) Others are concerned with how to make the language as it is (at
some given version level) do a particular task in the most efficient
way. It's not that they have no interest in development, but for the
purposes of the newsgroup, development issues are separate. In this
division scheme, c.l.py would continue to be the place to go for
answers from more experienced users to practical questions about
current implmentations.

To summarize: add one more group, for discussion of PEPs and issues
around the futurs of Python. Focus c.l.py on existing implementations
and their use.

--
rzed