Defining source code encoding for Python 2.3

Kirill Simonov kirill_simonov at mail.ru
Thu Feb 6 17:59:25 EST 2003

Hello,

While I rather like this new feature, I think that the current
implementation is too rigour. Imagine a student that writes her
first script:

    name = raw_input("What's your name? ") # a russian phrase here
    print "Hi %s!" % name

With Python 2.3a1, she'll get DeprecationWarning. With a future
version of Python, this code would cause SyntaxError.

Does anyone really think that she must define a source code encoding
here? That claim would break any possibility to use Python in schools.
We have a lot of troubles with broken i18n support in IDLE and Tkinter,
but this would be a total nightmare.

Also defining encoding is useless here, since it affects only Unicode
literals.

Best regards,
Kirill Simonov