Perl Vs Python

Thomas Weholt 2002 at weholt.org
Wed Feb 26 02:54:59 EST 2003

I used Perl for six months before trying Python ( before that I used
Delphi/Object Pascal/Turbo Pascal for 4 years and 2 years of
bloated-resource-eating-Java-hell ). My reasons for changing ( and never
looking back ) was :
- it's more readable than perl
- all of it's concepts were easier to understand than the same concepts in
Perl
- with my background in Object Pascal and Java it felt more natural than
Perl
- the atmosphere in the perl-newsgroup was at times terrible.
Comp.lang.python is more friendly and helpful.
- the indention rules fits my style of coding ( this is important )
- I spent 6 months, a bunch of money buying every book on Perl at
Amazon.com, and still felt I had problems solving my programming problems.
It took me under a month to port everything to Python and get cleaner,
crisper and crunchier code :-)

This is all personal views of course, but you should probably follow the
advise posted in earlier postings and try them both before making a
decision. Perhaps they fit different parts of your programming needs and you
could use them both.

I'm deeply in love with Python. And the future looks great too, with the 2.3
release available soon sporting alot of great new features. Life is good
when developed in Python ;-)

Thomas

news:ixT6a.239117$tq4.5756 at sccrnsc01...