Myth: Python is ideal for beginners

N D Efford nde at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Feb 7 07:49:16 EST 2003

pedro alvarez <dickerc6 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I assume its that having mastered arcane languages, they take some
> things for granted. They have forgotten what its like to be a
> beginner, and because they see python as simple, they assume others
> should see it that way also.

This is why many C++ programmers claimed that Java was simpler.
(Lack of multiple inheritance, no explicit pointers, no templates,
etc...)  But, if I may use a mountaineering analogy here, the
novice sees little difference between the Matterhorn and K2.
And when you take the huge and complex APIs of Java into account,
the argument becomes moot.

Having said all that, I do regard Python as more pleasant for
beginners - mainly because of its cleaner, more readable syntax
and the benefits of being able to try things out through quick
and easy interaction with the interpreter.

Nick