Case insensitivity

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Feb 18 11:57:58 EST 2003

as to case sensitivity

[Jacek]
>> FWIW, I'm with him on this one.

[Kirk]
>Ditto.

Probably a bad idea to reopen this can.

But, since one of the cites was Guido's response to my post and the fact is
that I have battled him on this - to the extent of a soured relationship...

Kirk and Jacek sound to me like programmers, thinking that case
insensitivity is a sensible thing for a programming language.  I have no
opinion on the issue in that respect.

Read Guido's response.  His focus on the case insensitivity issue was never
what made sense for "programmers".  His interest in case insensitivity was
always spoken about in terms of "non-programmers".  He can of course only
mean lowering the barriers of "non-programmers"  in becoming programmers, or
at least to doing something that could meaningful be called programming.

My position on the case sensitivity issue was - unqualified to speak in
respect to issue as regards programmers.

But, as someone who learned to program via Python, certainly qualified to
address the issue as to "non-programmers". A quite minor issue. Furthermore
I was familiar with the evidence he was looking at that indicated
otherwise - and felt strongly it was, stately mildly, unscientific and
wrong.

If the issue is lowering barriers, it is a *very* big change, for a *very*
small return.  If it is justifiable on other grounds - great.  There in fact
might be a *very small* benefit to the lowering of barriers, as a side
effect.

What I think finally put it to bed for Guido was a survey of programming
teachers organized by Sheila King that seemed to indicate resoundingly that
teachers did not consider it an issue and would not themselves design a
learning language as case insensitive.

If Jacek and Kirk are agreeing with Guido that case insensitivity is on it
merits, for programmers, the best alternative - they are agreeing with
something that Guido himself never clearly said.

I feel enititled to comment on this only because my post was cited.  I am
hoping we don't reopen it.  And if we do, that the discussion is limited to
the impact on programmers.

Guido was willing to accept Sheila's survey as authoritative enough on the
issue, as it effects "non-programmers".  It certainly does not seem sensible
to reopen, in any way, that portion of the discussion.

Art