Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Andy Freeman anamax at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 2 16:46:07 EST 2003

"Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message news:<tB3%9.3147$6P2.351830 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > If you don't use templates in C++, that's your loss -- they're
>
> It is not a loss when your overriding goal is to get 1 code path working
> well.  I do not believe in a bazillion code paths, you can't optimize them

Van Every and I are using different languages called C++.

The C++ templates that I know about don't create additional code paths.
They merely make it possible to exploit some commonality between certain
kinds of things.

I've found that when I'm defining things, they're either unique or there are
4-20 similar things.  For the latter, templates require less programming time
than the (C++) alternatives and are no worse at execution time than the (C++)
alternatives.  Templates are of great value in these situations even if the
"things" (or the templates) aren't of "general utility".

In a way, I use templates much as I use functions/procedures and inheritance.
Doing without would be simpler, but not better.

-andy