PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Paul Rubin http
Tue Feb 11 15:49:39 EST 2003

holger krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> writes:
> Inspired by "do the simplest thing that can possibly work"
> i now think that
>
>         x and y else z
>
> might just do it and avoid the need for a new construct.
> It's a very minor change just for fixing the problem at hand.
> It should be obvious what it does.

I find it very confusing and don't think I'd ever get used to it.  I
really dislike that type of cutesy-ness that is sometimes found in
Python (the % string operator is another example).  In fact it's not
even obvious what it does.  What should the value of (2 and 0 else 3)
be?